Monday, July 21, 2008

The Runner I used to be.

On our first day of family vacation during the kids’ naptime, my husband declared he was going on a run. My youngest sister-in-law asked him to wait and said, “I’ll join you.” Her husband then chimed in and said, “Well, I’ll go too.” I watched as they all readied – tying their shoes and strapping on their iPods as they left. I had to keep guard while the kids slept.

From 7th grade on up, every spring I would go with my mom to Athlete’s Foot and buy a pair of running shoes, usually Nike. One time my sophomore year in high school I bought a pair of Reebok’s and I lost the middle toenail on both feet. After college I would try a pair of Asics and love them, but they were too wide and I ended up wearing 2 pairs of socks just to prevent blisters. Each spring, when I bought my new pair of shoes, I would take them home and perform my ritual of completely unlacing them and then re-lacing them taking all of the twists out of the strings. Then, I would put the strings through the loop on the tongue. At the top, I laced them in a special way so that if my shoes did come untied, they wouldn’t loosen. Lastly, I would place the Nike extra arch support in the shoe. Ahhh! Such comfort!

I joined the track team with my friend Amy in 7th grade and found that I was a pretty good ¼ miler. That is until I reached puberty, got hip and became slow. Then, in high school I ran everything just because. I really enjoyed the 800 but my coach rarely put me in that event. He would always torture me with the 400. I even ran the mile once so our team could get a point. After college, while in graduate school, I became an assistant coach for the cross country, indoor and outdoor track teams. I tried to absorb as much as I could about coaching track. That year, the boys’ team won the indoor state title. The next winter, I finished graduate school and moved to San Francisco, CA. The year was 1998. I ran 3-5 miles 4-5 times a week. On Sundays I would run from the Pan Handle through Golden Gate park, reflect at the ocean and then run back. I ran numerous races -- especially Bay to Breakers and Bridge to Bridge consistently.

But now after ACL surgery in 2004 and 2 kids, I don’t know where the runner in me has gone. When I started seeing the man who would later become my husband he did every sport but running. I encouraged him to run – and he did – slowly. But in the past 5 years, he has run the SF marathon 3 times, the LA marathon once and the Big Sur Marathon once – not to mention numerous other half marathons. He has taken my workout and trumped me. So much so, that my in-laws and their family see me only as one who runs sometimes with her husband.

At times I think, “I’m the runner,” I want to yell. “I got HIM to run! I’ve been running longer than he has.” I want to get upset, but really is it worth it? One can only do what the body will do. I did get back into running after our first baby was old enough to go in the baby jogger (6 months) and I jogged until I was 5 months pregnant with our second baby. But now since the second baby, I have been suffering from tendonitis in my tensor fasciae latae in my hip. I have only recently been diagnosed because I kept thinking if I didn’t run, the pain would go away. It’s been 9 months since I last ran. And those last 6 months of running came with a lot of pain afterwards. The thing is, since I haven’t been running, no one has asked me, “Hey, are you still running?” And that’s how I know that I am not the runner that I used to be.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Meliss - this made me sad. Maybe you are not the runner you once were but you are still superwoman in my eyes. and who's to say you won't steal the title back:)